Saturday, February 19, 2011

Almost Finished

I can't believe how time flies.  My last day at the hospital was today.  Tomorrow I head back to Kigali to catch a bus to Ruehengeri.  Monday morning I am scheduled to go on my gorilla safari.  I am extremely excited, and how to get lots of good pictures.  I am going to hang around Ruehengeri Monday night and Tuesday morning.  Then is it back to Kigali.  I plan to spend Wednesday around the capitol.  Then Thursday I am going to Akagera National Park, which more of a traditional style safari.  Then Friday I hand around Kigali for the day, and then fly out that night to begin the very long 4 day trip back to South Bend.
Picture of the other doctors and me on my last day.

Sorry I haven't been able to update as much I would have liked.  The internet here is spotty at best and goes out quite a bit often for days at a time.  Well, if you expect reliable telecommunication, Rwanda and much of Africa is not for you.
Most of the women carry things on their heads.  It is amazing what all they carry.  Each of the clay tiles weighs about 5-7 lbs.  Probably more amazing I don't have  a lot of people come into the hospital complaining of neck pain.

Here are some of the tea fields.  Rwanda is a big producer of tea.  The women pick the tea leaves and carry these huge bushels on their heads.

  My time here has been unbelievable.  The people are extraordinarily friendly.  Though I still am not use to the parade that follows anytime I go out in public, I have learned to tolerate it.  I have enjoyed my time at the hospital so much.  It has really helped restore my love of medicine.  Patient are so extremely appreciative.  I feel like I have truly made a difference in the lives of some of the people here in my short time.  I only prayer that I have been able to help in ways that will last after I am gone.
  My time here has allowed me to not only grow as a doctor and person, but I feel I have probably grown the most as a Christian in my time here.  It is amazing how much time you have for prayer and personal reflection without high speed internet, T.V., etc.
  I hope to be on later tonight (morning to afternoon back in the States), but we will just have to see how the internet goes.

Goodbye for now,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment