Monday, January 31, 2011

Getting Use to Practicing in Africa

Thanks for all the words of support.  It has been to feel so disconnected from everyone.  I can't imagine how missionaries felt before the internet.  I am getting more use to the hospital everyday.  I have learned so much in such a little time.  I have seen things I have only read about in  books.  I have already seen 3-4 cases which I would consider writing up in the states.  It is amazing how much unique pathology there is here.
  It astounds me how accepting of death their culture is.  They don't even name their children until 8 weeks of life because there is such a high infant mortality rate.  While I have lost more patients in my week here than I will in 6 months in the states here, I do feel that I can make a difference.  I have been working mostly in Pediatrics and in the NICU.  Sometimes I have no idea if I get the right story from the patients by the time it is translated form Kinyarwanda to French then to English.  However, the native doctors seem happy to have me here and consult me quite frequently for opinions on cases. 
  The staff is so amazing.  I have someone that cooks 3 meals a day for me plus cleans and does laundry.  Sometimes I think that is a bit of overkill, but I try to remind myself that I am providing someone with a job that might not otherwise have one.  Unfortunately, it has been raining and storming here, so they haven't been able to get the broadband up, so no pictures yet but hopefully soon.  Every time it storms, the power goes in and out.  This adds a whole new challenge to resuscitating a 30 week premie when the power goes out, so you have no oxygen.  
  Saturday afternoon I got to spend some time at Kumbya, which is a cottage on Lake Kivu.  It was absolutely beautiful and so peaceful.  I went to church on Sunday.  The singing was wonderful, however, I didn't understand a word of it.
  Everyday I pray for God to provide me with answers to questions I don't even know to ask. 
I hope everyone is doing well.
James

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a tremendous challenge. Keep your spirits up and know that your impact is felt, even if you don't see it right away. Rachelle and I are thinking about you every day, and we are so proud of what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how emotionally difficult it is to have a culture that is so accepting of death because it is simply their reality. You are doing an amazing job, and I know that the people there are so grateful for your help. We think and pray for you every day. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. James,
    Though what you are going through is difficult, you are learning so much! I find it helps me to appreciate how fortunate we are for our health, and for life. I think we take health for granted in the US-like it's a right, and if we get sick then it's unjust and someone ought to pay for it, and fix it right now. Whereas I find in Africa, people appreciate health as a gift, and illness and death as a part of life. There are times I wish I had a bumper sticker that said "life is fatal", just to grab the attention of americans and make them think about how they live.
    Glad you are getting a chance to rest after the long week. Be sure to take time to recharge yourself, because the work can be very draining, especially the first time. Take time to process things. Cry if you need to. You are making a difference to the patients you help.
    And don't feel bad about the help-a)you are providing a job to someone, and b)it allows you to use more of your energy for practicing medicine and recharging. Plus, if she speaks English, you might learn some more of the culture from her than you would have otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please know you are making a difference one life at a time .I think some life experiences are processed weeks and months after we have them.We are just too overwhelmed while they are happening .You may feel alone but know people back home are praying for you and sending love your way !!God bless you and your work! I'm so very proud of you! Love you and think of you and pray for you every day.

    ReplyDelete